Managed and maintained by volunteers – funded by voluntary contributions
Reproduced by kind permission of Gwyneth Hibbett
who retains the copyright
by local calligrapher Gwyneth Hibbett Gwyneth also designed the hand-lettering on the five "Historic Barnet" information boards which have been installed in the High Street by Barnet Museum (though the one outside the Mitre public house was removed by the Council almost immediately after it was installed).
Her work for the museum also included assisting in the preparation of the heraldic banners which are due to go on display again in the High Street to commemorate this year’s 550th anniversary of the Battle of Barnet.
- one of the pieces which helped her win the
Worshipful Company of Scriveners’
Peter Esslemont Prize
for Calligraphy and Illumination
Monken Hadley Common (often known locally as "Hadley Woods", or simply "Hadley Common") was created - as a “common” - by the Act of Parliament which enclosedIn English social and economic history, "enclosure" was the process which ended traditional rights such as mowing meadows for hay, or grazing livestock on common land formerly held in the open field system.
Once "enclosed", these uses of the land became restricted to the owner, and it ceased to be common land. [Wikipedia] Enfield ChaseA “chase” is a hunting ground; Enfield Chase (or Chace) was a royal hunting ground. - the Enfield Chase Act of 1777, 17 Geo.III.c.17"17 Geo.III.c.17" identifies the Act of Parliament under which the Common was established.
It means "The 17th public general Act [c.17] passed during the parliamentary session that started in the 'regnal year' 17 Geo. III - the 17th year of the reign of King George 3rd"
(A copy of the Act, and of the plan which accompanied it, are available here.). Indeed the very name "Monken Hadley Common" derives from, and was first used on, the plan which accompanied the 1777 Act.
Postcard, postmark 1911,
Horses and cattle on Monken Hadley Common about 1911, with Hurst Cottage in the background
"Commons” are generally privately owned land over which some people other than the owner exercise limited rights "in common" with the owner(s) of the land. These people are known as "commoners", and they may, for example, have rights to graze animals, to collect firewood, or to cut turfpeat
for fuel. Monken Hadley Common is unusual in that under section V of the 1777 Act , the land is not privately owned, but is held in trust for the “Commoners” - the people who still have grazing rights attached to their properties!
Postcard, postmark 1928
"Photo by Clarke's, East Finchley, N.2"
Camlet Way gate, about 1928. (In 1777 it was called "Camlot Way".) Notice the gatekeeper's hut on the right hand side (and the gatekeeper?). The Common has five gates, and their original purpose was to keep livestock from straying. They are now protected structures.
Monken Hadley Common is now the only remaining unenclosed fragment of the former Chase, and is situated north of High Barnet, and immediately to the east of ancient country village of Monken Hadley itself. In 1777 it was in the county of Middlesex; in 1889 it became part of Hertfordshire, and since 1965 it has been within the administrative area of the London Borough of Barnet.
The Common is a roughly wedged shaped tract of land of which about 74 ha are accessible to the publicThe public has the right to use the Common “for air and exercise” under Section 193 of the Law of Property Act 1925 (as amended); this is sometimes referred to as “Section 15 land” after Section 15 of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act, 2000.; it’s about 2.5 kilometres long, tapering from a width of about 0.5 kilometre at its broadest point, close to the white gates beside St Mary's Church, Monken Hadley at the western end ........
........ to a narrow point by one of the other sets of white gates at Games Road at the eastern end - about 300m from the Cockfosters Road entrance to Trent Park. It is bounded to the north and south by the residential areas of Hadley Wood and New Barnet respectively.
A public bridleway crosses the Common, joining the end of Games Road, at the east, to the car park at the foot of Baker's Hill at the west. Horse riding and pedal-cycling are permitted along it - although not elsewhere on the Common.
Photo: John Vincent Keogh
The entrance to King George's Fields King George’s Fields were formed by combining Hadley Manor Fields (which had been purchased by East Barnet Urban District Council in 1934) with land purchased from both the Hadley Hurst and Gladsmuir estates.
The heraldic panels on the main entrance (which is from the Common) are symbols of the United Kingdom, a lion (left, standing for England) and a unicorn (right, standing for Scotland). Panels of stone, bronze or brass were, and still must be, displayed at the main entrance to all King George’s Fields
In total 471 King George’s Fields were established throughout the UK as public open spaces dedicated to the memory of King George V (1865-1936). from the Common, with its two heraldic panels to a design by the artist George Kruger Gray
The Common has a rural aspect, which is enhanced by having Hadley Wood Golf Club and the Covert Way Local Nature Reserve (both in the London Borough of Enfield) to the north, and King George's Fields, the Tudor Sports Ground nine hole golf course, and the playing fields of two schools (all in the London Borough of Barnet) to the south.
Photo: John Vincent Keogh
The bridleway east of the railway bridge
Approximately 53 ha of the Common are mixed semi-natural deciduous woodland with some open glades and the remainder is open grassland with planted or selected trees.
The Common lies within the Monken Hadley Conservation Area, and is listed as a “Site of Borough Importance for Nature Conservation (Grade 1)” by the London Borough of Barnet. It and its trees are designated as being of general amenity value, and the woodland west of the railway line is subject to a Tree Preservation Order.
Photo: Alan Magnus
A profusion of rosebay willowherbEpilobium angustifolium also known as "fireweed".
on the upper Common
The Common is not a nature reserve but it, and the adjacent Covert Way Local Nature Reserve and the open land belonging to Hadley Wood Golf Club, are havens for wildlife. Its importance in this respect is increased by its location on the urban fringe, where pressures on wildlife are considerable.
Photo: Simon West
Broad-bodied ChaserLibellula depressa - one of the most common dragonflies in Europe. dragonfly
"Gladsmuir" pond, Monken
Hadley Common, May 6th, 2011
Photo: Les Bedford
Fly AgaricAmanita muscaria - poisonous and dangerous if ingested, but rarely fatal. growing on poor soil under birch at the western end of the Common, November 2012
In 1992 Margaret MellingMargaret Melling was editor of the paperback “Naturalist in Barnet”, ISBN: 978-0951560815, Published 1st October 1990 completed a 'desk study' of the wildlife, which is a collation of existing records, listing 12 species of mammals, 83 birds, 20 butterflies and some hundreds of other species of fauna as well as a great many trees, wild flowers, fungi etc. which have been associated with the Common. (Unfortunately this desk study can’t be traced, and the Curators would be very grateful to hear from anyone who has a copy.)
Photo: "Peter aka anemoneprojectors"
Photo taken 3 May 2013, St Nicholas Park, Stevenage
Muntjac deer Muntiacus reevesi
Green and/or greater spotted woodpeckers will probably be heard if not seen. If you are very lucky, you may also see the shy and elusive muntjacThe muntjac (Reeves's Muntjac) is a very small deer, growing to only about 50cm high at the shoulder.
Small, stocky, russet brown in summer, grey brown in winter, they were first introduced from China to Woburn in the early 20th century. Following deliberate releases and escapes from Woburn, they are now widely spread in south and central England and Wales. deer. Butterflies, including the white-letter and purple hair-streaks, may be observed, and in the late evening Daubenton's bats Daubenton's bat (Myotis daubentonii, named after the French naturalist Louis-Jean-Marie Daubenton) is a medium-sized to small species - typically 45 to 55 mm long - with quite short ears. The bats have reddish-pink faces and noses, but the area around the eyes is bare; their fluffy fur is brownish-grey on the back and silvery-grey on the underside, and they have dark brown wings and tail membranes. Juveniles have darker fur than adults.
Daubenton's bats can live for up to 22 years, and form colonies which are always near water. may be seen skimming low over Jack's Lake. There were numerous sightings of the harmless grass snake in the summers of 1996 and 1997. Many wild flowers and fungi add to one's enjoyment.
Photo: Henry Kuppen
Caterpillars of the Oak
Processionary Moth (OPM)
doing their “thing”!
The oak processionary mothOPM (Thaumetopoea processionea) became established in the oak trees of west London after it was accidentally introduced from southern Europe in 2005, and despite all attempts at eradication, the area affected is rapidly growing. See Forestry Commission Oak processionary moth distribution map for the London area (January 2022).)
OPM Caterpillars eat oak leaves, and they can strip whole trees bare leaving them weakened and vulnerable to other pests, diseases and environmental stresses, and if untreated this could quite possibly result in the death of affected trees. (OPM), which hatches in July and August, was first discovered on the Common in July, 2019. The caterpillars of this little blighter, which are covered with up to 63,000 pointed defensive bristles, are a noxious pest, and are a hazard to the health of oak trees, people and animals.
Contact with the bristles can cause itching, skin rashes and, less commonly, sore throats, breathing difficulties and eye problems, and this can happen if people or animals touch the caterpillars or their nests, or if the bristles are blown into contact by the wind. The greatest risk period is May to July, but the bristles - which can be active for up to five years - can be present on old nests (which may have fallen on to the ground) and could be blown or touched at any time of year.
New silken white OPM nests and trails, which can be anywhere on an oak tree from ground level right up as far as the highest branches.
Identifying OPM caterpillars and their nests: The caterpillars live almost exclusively in oak trees, and move in nose-to-tail processions in oak trees or on the ground, hence their name, and build white, silken webbing trails and nests - usually dome or teardrop-shaped - on oak trunks and branches (but not among leaves), though the nests soon become discoloured. The damage which their feeding does is quite distinctive and noticeable, because the caterpillars tend to leave the leaves skeletonised, with only the main veins remaining.
Photo: Ralph Parks, Forestry Commission
Old dirty brown or grey discoloured OPM nests, which are harder to see - and which may have fallen onto the ground.
So if you see any oak tree on the Common with these nests or with a strange infestation of caterpillars, and especially if you discover any fallen nests, please try to keep dogs and children away, don’t touch them yourselfWhen removed, OPM nest material is classified as hazardous waste, and there are strict regulations governing its disposal, so please don’t try to deal with it yourself!, and inform the Curators immediately. But first, please, CHECK that they're in or near an oak tree - OPM caterpillars usually only attack other trees if they run out of oak leaves to eat!
Blum & Degan "Kromo" series, No: T 21914
"Pond in Hadley Woods"Though it’s not obvious from this photographThe photo was taken looking in a roughly south easterly direction., the pond in the picture is the one the remains of which are still clearly visible on the north side of the main stream which runs from the upper common towards the railway, at the pointGrid Ref TQ25739723 where it is joined by another stream running along what was originally a “gripA “grip” is a channel for water, cut through grass.
At the time the pond was constructed the Common was much more open than it is now - as can clearly be seen in the photograph - and a grassy glade ran all the way down the hill from the open ground near the Camlet Way gate; the grip ran along its centre.” down from Bournwell Hill to the north.
It was constructed as a “drinking pond” for horses and cattle, and was fed in part by a short underground pipeThe pipe, which was about 35-40 m. long, was constructed of 4 inch diameter socketed sections.
The pipe is now defunct though the end of it, where it used to deliver water into the grip, is still clearly visible on the ground. which took water from Spring Pond“Spring Pond” is the original name of the pond, the remains of which are readily visible next to Camlet Way, a short distance from the Camlet Way gate. and delivered it into the top end of an existing grip; the grip was cleaned out and the pond and the pipe were constructed in about 1885, at the same time as extensive works were undertaken to improve the drainage of the Common. [Source: Minute Book 1854-1907]
Blum & Degan postcard, about 1906
Monken Hadley Common was created in 1777 to provide pasture for the animals owned by the inhabitants of the village of Monken Hadley. After the coming of the railway in 1850 the land to the south began to be developed for housing, which resulted in a steady reduction in the demand for pasture, and also an increased demand for recreation, not only from those living in the new houses in the immediate vicinity but also from people travelling to the Common by bicycle, rail and tram from further afield.
Reproduced by kind permission
of Barnet Museum
Poster of 1924 by
Edward McKnight Kauffer.
Trams ran from North FinchleyAccording to Pamela Taylor in "Barnet and Hadley Past". ISBN 0 948667 78 8 between 1907 & 1938 (but only as far as High Barnet Church).
By the beginning of the 20th century use of the Common for recreation was in full swing, and a significant number of postcards featuring pictures of it were evidently produced and sold (these regularly come up for sale on the Internet). The earliest known ones In 1894, British publishers were given permission by the Royal Mail to manufacture and distribute picture postcards which could be sent through the post.
The earliest known postcards of the Common date from about 1906, and were published by Blum & Degan as the “Kromo” Series. They were printed in Saxony from hand-tinted black and white photographs, and bear a great similarity to some of the postcards printed in Dresden a few years later by Stengel & Co, which suggests that the “Kromo” series may, in fact have been both tinted and printed by Stengel & Co. (who went on to become the largest producer of postcards in the world).
There are several examples of “Kromo” series postcards, and one example of a similar-looking Stengel postcard (circa. 1913) reproduced on this website.
As an aside As an aside, it seems curious, to modern eyes, that the "Kromo" series postcards are marked “Printed in Saxony”.
Though the Kingdom of Saxony - with Dresden as its capital - was incorporated into the new German Empire in 1871, it continued in existence as a separate entity until the foundation of the Weimar Republic in 1918, at the end of World War I. ....... - by Blum & Degan - date from about 1906
Wildt & Kray, London, E.C. Series No. 2800
Wildt & Kray postcard
The Common's attraction as a place of recreation and relaxation was also boosted by the funfair and tea rooms run by the Frusher family at Folly FarmFolly Farm was a pig farm and slaughter house run by the Frusher family, which doubled up as tea rooms and a funfair. Pigs for slaughter would arrive by train at New Barnet station and be herded down Margaret Road towards the woods.
The Frushers also had a butchers shop on East Barnet Road, the outside of which was adorned with a neon pig. It is said that during the war, they were less than scrupulous about their adherence to wartime regulations. (on the right, between the railway bridge and Jack's Lake, on the site of what is now JCoSSJCoSS (Jewish Community Secondary School) is a state-funded Jewish secondary school in New Barnet.
Established in 2010, it is the first Jewish cross-denominational secondary school in the UK.) and by the boating on Jack's Lake, run by East Barnet Urban District Council.
Its heyday as a visitor attraction seems to have been in the decade following the 2nd World War: in 1953 it was recordedRecorded in a Coronation Souvenir Book presented to all the residents of Monken Hadley on June 2nd, 1953. that “over a recent Whitsun Bank Holiday no fewer than 40,000 people visited Hadley Woods”(!).
By the mid 1960's grazing had completely ceased, boating had been discontinued, and in 1969 Folly Farm was sold to East Barnet Urban District Council, which developed the site for use as a school. But well before then, the area round Jack's Lake had become a meeting place for teddy boysTeddy Boys date back to the late nineteen forties when, following the war, a generation of youngsters with money to burn appropriated the Edwardian (Teddy) clothing style currently in fashion on Savile Row and cranked it up a notch.
In the beginning there were drapes and drainpipe trousers. Then that look was customised: the drapes with collar, cuff and pocket trimmings, even narrower trousers, crepe soled shoes or beetle crushers and hairstyle heavily greased into a quiff and shaped into a DA, or as it was popularly called, a "duck's arse" as it resembled one! - and, as the verseWith apologies to Jimmy Kennedy OBE (1902-84). went at the time:
If you go down to Hadley Woods today, you'd better go in disguise,
In drainpipe trews and fancy shoes and something intense in ties.
Don't bother to wash - it's sure to rain;
Remember your cosh and bicycle chain;
Today's the day the Teddy boys have their picnic.
The Common hit a low point ............
Photo by kind permission of Hadley Angling
and Preservation Society (HAPS)
Young fisherman at Jack's Lake
A new beginning: In 1981 a new constitution was adopted for the management of the Common, and thanks to the hard work put in by successive Curators, Conservation Volunteers and members of the Management Committee, and to the generous financial support afforded by the Friends of Hadley Common, the Common has gone through something of a renaissance.
A year later, in 1982, the fishing of Jack's Lake was licensed to the newly-formed Hadley Angling and Preservation Society (HAPS), which also did a lot to improve the parts of the Common round the lake, as well as the fishing and the lake itself. The fishery, which is still managed by HAPS, is open to all, with 27 of the 44 pegs being fishable on day tickets. HAPS organises Junior Angling Competitions - open to anyone aged 16 or under - and continues to do a first-class job in maintaining both the fishery and its environment.
Though the days of mass visitors, which were seen fifty years ago, are clearly over, the Common is still a highly-valued resource for walkers, dog walkers, bird watchers, botanists, joggers, cricket lovers, anglers, families picnicking and playing gamesOrganised games require the written consent of the Curators, pedal-cyclists enjoying the safe cycling along the bridleway, and people just spending some quiet time in the countryside. The Common is also coming to be more appreciated again by people living further afield, not least by people walking the Pymmes Brook Trail, which starts on the Common, and by those following the London LOOP, which crosses it.
Monken Hadley Common is not a privilege for the few, but a very necessary source of "quiet recreation" for the many.
Photo: James Cridland
Monken Hadley CC vs. Botany Bay 2nd XI
July 28, 2007
Cricket: The present Monken Hadley Cricket Club, which has its pitch on the grassland at the western end of the Common, was formed in 1954, and has performed continuously since then.
The earliest known record of a match being played on the Common appeared in the Barnet Press, and relates to a game against the Privy Council Office C.C on June 14th 1862. There's also a reference in an Anthony TrollopeAnthony Trollope (1815-82) was one of the most successful, prolific and respected English novelists of the Victorian era.
Some of his best-loved works, collectively known as the Chronicles of Barsetshire, revolve around the imaginary county of Barsetshire. He also wrote perceptive novels on political, social, and gender issues, and on other topical matters.
novel “The Bertrams”, which, though written in 1858/59, was set in the 1840's; it therefore seems very likely that cricket was first played on the Common before 1862. (Anthony's mother, Fanny - who was also an author - lived for a time in Hadley.)
Snapshot taken from a recording of the performance made by The Space
Scene from Henry VI, Part 2 -
The Houses of York and Lancaster
Monken Hadley Common, August 24th, 2013
Shakespeare's Henry VI: In the summer of 2013, Monken Hadley Common hosted Shakespeare's Globe's fourth and final open-air "battlefield performance" of the Henry VI trilogy, directed by Nick Bagnall, and the event was greatly appreciated by those hardy souls who managed to brave the continuous rain.
All three plays were streamed live on the Internet, thanks to The Space (which was then funded by the Arts Council England and the BBC), though unfortunately the awful weather conditions, and a power outage during Part III, mitigated against the technology, and the live stream was subject to frequent interruptions. Good recordings of all three performances were available on The Space's website until The Space pilot service came to an end on 31 October 2013.
All we ask is that, for the benefit of all the other visitors, you respect the following RULES:
● No fires
● No vehicles or motor-bikes (except on roads)
● No horse riding or cycling (except on roads
or on the bridleway)
● No dumping or litter
● No grazing (except by commoners)
● No camping
● No shooting
● No damage to or removal of trees, plants,
turf, timber or wildlife
● Dogs should be kept under effective control
at all times
Public Notice - Churchwardens, 1891
Taken from "Twenty-Six Miles of RAMBLES FROM COCKFOSTERS"
(Pub: London Underground Transport, 1934)